Can a child be called a “psychopath”?
Read a New York Times article, “Can you call a 9year-old a psychopath?”, in TOK class
Further researched it and found many articles commenting on the subject
What is a psychopath? “A person suffering from a chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior”
3 Factor-structure defining psychopathy: (Cooke & Michie, 2001) An arrogant, deceitful interpersonal style, which involves: dishonesty, manipulation, grandiosity, and persuasiveness
Defective emotional experience, including lack of remorse, poor empathy, shallow emotions, and lack of responsibility for one’s actions
Behavioral manifestations of impulsiveness, irresponsibility, and sensation-seeking
What makes them psychopaths?
For children, some researchers have said that a few family background variables are associated with the development of psychopathy. (Forth & Burke, 1998)
Moffit & Henry (1991) introduced the idea that a history of repeated abuse has reduced levels of arousal and reduced plasma cortisol levels.
How can one determine that a child is a psychopath?
Psychopathy Checklist: Youth Version (PCL-YV; Forth et al, 2004)
Psychopathy Screening Device (PSD; Frick, 1998)
Childhood Psychopathy Scale (CPS; Lynam, 1997)
Youth Psychopathic Traits Inventory
Michael is a 9-year-old who has an extreme temper, lashing out violently and deliberately showing no empathy or remorse.
He’s intelligent, cold, calculating and explosive
“I’ve always said that Michael will grow up to be either a Nobel Prize winner or a serial killer,”
- Beth is a 5 and a half-year-old girl who seems to have psychopathic traits.
- She was physically and sexually abused when she was about 1 by her birth father. She was also deprived of food.
- In this video, she calmly tells her psychiatrist how she wants to hurt and kill her adoptive parents and her biological brother.
- She seems to be calm and conversational as she’s describing how she deliberately harmed and killed animals and how she sexually molests and hurts her brother.
- Jeffrey Bailey Jr. (1986)
- Jon Venables and Robert Thompson (1993)
- Alyssa Bustamante (2009)
- Joshua Phillips (1998)
- Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold (1999)
- “If they can get what they want without being cruel, that’s often easier. But at the end of the day, they’ll do whatever works best”
- “10 percent of the people who work on Wall Street are “clinical psychopaths”
- “Psychopaths don’t feel guilty because they are blind to guilt”
- Human Sciences
- You can’t call a child a psychopath with certainty.
- Ways of knowing:
- Kahn, Jennifer. "Can You Call a 9-Year-Old a Psychopath?" The New York Times. The New York Times, 13 May 2012. Web. 10 June 2012.
- "Child of Rage The FULL Documentary." YouTube. YouTube, 18 Oct. 2011. Web. 11 June 2012.
- Dolan, Mairead. "Advances in Psychiatric Treatment." Psychopathic Personality in Young People. N.p., 2005. Web. 11 June 2012.
- Darling, Nancy. "Thinking About Kids." Psychopaths, Children, and Evil. Psychology Today, 14 May 2012. Web. 11 June 2012.
- Mustich, Emma. "9-Year-Old Psychopath." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 15 May 2012. Web. 11 June 2012.